Meringue is one of the most mesmerizing products of pastry and for sure one of the most used ones – you can use meringue on its own, you can dry it out, you can incorporate in a sponge, add it in a mousse, you can use it as a macarons base and the list can go on for sure. It’s one of the best choices if you are looking for a lot of air and little impact on the taste. But due to its high sugar content, it can also be dried out into a crunchy, delicious, texturized product that brings your dessert to a whole new level. These almond meringue bars make no exception!
What I do love is adding nuts into a meringue. It can be anything, from almonds to walnuts or hazelnuts – just a touch of these and the final taste is completely changed. Moreover, increase the temperature a bit during baking to start caramelizing the sugar and there you have it – a dry, nutty, crunchy meringue, perfect as a topping for any dessert you can think of.
These almond meringue bars combine a shortdough base which is buttery and melt-in-your-mouth with a flavorful strawberry jam and the most delicious meringue flavored with almonds and topped with walnuts and almond slivers for even more flavor and plenty of texture! With all that in mind, I must say I do find the final dessert perfect in every way! It’s packed with flavor and taste, it has a fruity aroma and enough texture and it also looks great. I could go a little bit further and say that a scoop of ice cream on top of one of these almond meringue bars would bring everything a step up. What can I say – just the simple pleasures of life!
How to make almond meringue bars
Almond Meringue Bars
- 210 g all-purpose flour
- 2 g salt
- 140 g butter (room temperature)
- 50 g icing sugar
- 2 g lemon zest
- 60 g egg yolk
- + 70g strawberry jam (or your favorite jam)
- 90 g egg whites
- 180 g white granulated sugar
- 2 g lemon zest
- 15 g dark rhum
- 140 g almond flour
- 40 g almond slivers
- 50 g walnut pieces
- Begin by mixing the butter with the lemon zest and sugar in a bowl until light and pale. Add the egg yolks gradually and mix well.
- Add the flour, all at once, and the salt and mix well.
- Transfer in a 35x25cm cake frame and level well. Freeze for 20 minutes.
- Take out from the freezer and spread on top the strawberry jam. Keep in the freezer.
- Whip the egg whites until foamy, then start adding the sugar, gradually, mixing well.
- Keep mixing until the meringue is stiff and glossy.
- Add the lemon zest, dark rhum and almond flour and mix well.
- Spread the meringue over the jam layer. Level well.
- Bake at 160C for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool down then cut into small bars or squares.
Equipment and utensils
Where do the egg yolks go?
Usor de facut , gustoasa si foarte”prezentabila”.
Toate retetele sunt de nota 10.
Multumesc mult pentru postare
How would I store leftovers and how long will it keep?
Store them in an airtight container, just like you would store cookies.