Recipe, writing and food photography by Matthew Ivan of Plating Pixels. He shares recipes with ingredients that are easy to find, while still creating rich and flavorful dishes. Each recipe post includes food science and cooking tips that help you learn about cooking. Visit Plating Pixels for more recipes or follow them on Pinterest or Instagram.
What’s your usual morning ritual? I wish mine was as glamorous as enjoying these Dark Chocolate Orange Crumb Muffins with a warm cup of fresh coffee and an intriguing book. Alternately, mine involves editing photos, writing posts, or all things social media related. I do get to enjoy the coffee at least. Then it’s a breakfast smoothie and out the door to my day job.
I like to think these muffins are for those special mornings. The one where you can take the time to simply enjoy the act of enjoying. Weekend mornings are one of my favorite times. It’s the interim between actually getting enough sleep and starting your productive or relaxing day (whichever one it happens to be). Why not savor it with Chocolate Orange Crumb Muffins?
These are easy to prep and use common panty items. What’s that mean? Less time grocery shopping, and more free time. Moist orange, chocolate, and almond flavored muffin with a flaky, crumb topping. This is decadent breakfast at it’s finest. Bite into one and you go from crunchy topping, moist muffin base to smooth melted chocolate bits. Almond extract goes a long way to give rich flavor and compliment the toasted almonds pieces. Store leftovers in a sealed container in fridge (if you do have any left) and heat before serving.
Cooking Tips: How to toast almonds
Toasting nuts is simple and highly recommended. Even if a recipe doesn’t call for it, I suggest toasting anyways for extra flavor. Add almonds to a small pan over medium heat. Heat, stirring often, for about 5–7 minutes, until slightly browned and fragrant. Be careful to not overcook. Remove almonds from pan immediately and place in bowl or plate to cool; otherwise the residual heat will continue to cook and burn them.
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup 2% milk (125ml)
- ¼ cup light olive oil (better for baking) (65ml)
- ½ cup granulated sugar (100g)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup fresh orange juice (125ml)
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (280g)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips (75g)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (70g)
- ½ cup granulated sugar (100g)
- ⅓ cup butter, sliced into small pieces (80g)
- ⅓ cup sliced almonds, toasted (35g)
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips (35g)
- Preheat oven to 400º F. Line muffin pan with twelve regular size muffin cups.
- In a medium bowl combine eggs, milk, oil, sugar, almond extract, orange juice and zest. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in chocolate chips. Create well in center and add liquid mixture. Still until just combined and moist. Spoon batter (roughly a ¼ cup) into each muffin liner. Do not fill completely to the top.
- In a medium bowl combine flour and sugar. With a pastry cutter or your hands, cut butter into mixture until you have a crumb texture. Stir in cooled toasted almonds (see cooking tips above) and chocolate chips.
- Evenly sprinkle crumb topping completely over batter in each liner. Press down gently but do not mix. Bake 17–20 minutes, or until a toothpick or knife inserted in center comes out clean. Place muffins on wire rack and serve warm.
- 2 oua, batute usor
- 125ml lapte
- 65ml ulei de masline (sau alt ulei vegetal)
- 100g zahar
- 1 lingurita extract de migdale
- 125ml suc de portocale
- 1 lingura coaja rasa de portocala
- 280g faina alba
- 1 lingura praf de copt
- 1/2 lingurita sare
- 75g ciocolata, tocata
- 70g faina alba
- 100g zahar
- 80g unt rece, cuburi
- 35g ciocolata, tocata
- 35g migdale felii
Mod de preparare:
- Preincalziti cuptorul la 200C si tapetati tava de muffins cu hartii speciale (12 bucati).
- Intr-un bol, amestecati ouale, laptele, uleiul, zaharul, extractul de migdale, sucul de portocale si coaja. Dati deoparte.
- In alt bol, combinati faina, praful de copt si sarea, precum si ciocolata. Faceti o gaura in centru si adaugati amestecul de lichide de mai sus. Amestecati cu o spatula doar pana aluatul e omogen, nu insistati cu amestecatul.
- Turnati aluatul in tava pregatita si dati deoparte.
- Combinati faina si zaharul intr-un bol. Adaugati untul si amestecati cu varfurile degetelor pana obtineti o compozitie nisipoasa.
- Adaugati ciocolata si migdalele felii (pentru o aroma mai buna, prajiti usor migdalele inainte de a le folosi)
- Puneti toppingul peste muffinsii din tava si coaceti pentru 17-20 minute sau pana trec testul scobitorii.