Years ago I would have definitely not considered vegan desserts. But now I am beginning to like them, they begin to grow on me in a way. First of all, because all the ingredients feel clean and somehow I feel less guilty about eating these desserts. Second of all, despite all belief, vegan desserts can be really really good! And these vegan banana muffins are a great example with their intense banana flavor and crunchy oatmeal topping.
These muffins were a huge surprise! I started from a recipe I googled quickly a few days ago as I had a few bananas and didn’t want to throw them away. But I lacked specifically the ingredients or the quantities asked for so I put my pastry brain to work and tweaked the recipe to fit what I had. And this is how this delicious recipe was born. I guess I just get lucky sometimes 😀 But that’s why pastry is so much fun – you can play with ingredients knowing the chemistry behind and get edible results at least.
The topping turned the dessert into something that feels next level! Contrasts tend to do so usually, especially when the crunchy topping comes over a moist, fragrant inside. I added plenty of walnuts in these vegan banana muffins too for even more texture. And they were just perfect! I would dare to say they are better than my vegan chocolate muffins!
Vegan Banana Muffins
- 225 g bananas (pureed)
- 180 g vegan milk (almond, coconut, oatmeal, rice milk)
- 60 g brown sugar
- 30 g honey or maple syrup
- 60 g vegetable oil
- 4 g apple cider vinegar
- 5 g vanilla extract
- 250 g all-purpose white flour
- 2 g salt
- 6 g baking powder
- 1 g baking soda
- 1 g cinnamon powder
- 20 g rolled oats
- 20 g shredded coconut
- 40 g walnuts (chopped)
- 35 g all-purpose white flour
- 35 g brown sugar
- 25 g vegetable oil
- 15 g rolled oats
- In a bowl, combine the bananas, vegan milk, sugar, honey, oil, vinegar and vanilla and give it a good mix.
- In another bowl, mix the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
- Pour the liquids over the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Add the oats, coconut and walnuts and combine.
- Spoon the batter into your muffin tin lined with muffin papers. Place aside.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Split the crumble evenly between the 12 muffins.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 180C for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and set.
- Cool down in the tray then serve.
great and easy recipe!