I have a weakness for coconut, whether it’s coconut milk, shredded coconut or fresh coconut. I’d say that after chocolate, butter and milk or cream, coconut milk and shredded coconut are the two ingredients that I have in my cupboards at all times. There’s something about the delicacy of coconut that makes me wanna go back to it as often as possible. I find it irresistible paired with chocolate, raspberries or strawberries and I often buy it fresh just to chew on it as a snack. The richness and smoothness of fresh coconut is sublime, but I love coconut milk just as much.
As I opened the fridge the other day, there it was – a can of coconut milk – next to it there was a can of sweetened condensed milk and a spark was lit. What if I made some sort of flan or creme caramel that includes both of them?! I thought about the taste of coconut and caramel together for a second and the next thing I know I was already making caramel and preparing my mini flan molds. I knew it was going to taste great, but wasn’t expecting to be this intense. You can definitely feel the flavor of coconut as you take spoonfuls of flan.. it lingers on your palate together with the caramel sauce formed in the molds. The caramel sauce simply drips off the flan and adds extra richness and sweetness. To finish the flans I though a sprinkle of shredded coconut or coconut flakes and some spun sugar is all these flan ever need and I was right. The simplicity of this dessert is what makes it this good! It tastes great, it looks amazing, it’s delicate and creamy, yet rich and intense, it’s all you can ask for from a dessert that focuses on coconut.
- 6 medium size eggs
- 1 can (300ml) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can (400ml) coconut milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 200g sugar
- 70ml water
- Pre-heat your oven to 330F - 165C.
- Prepare 4-6 ramekins (depending on their size) by placing them in a deep dish pan.
- Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan and place over medium flame. Cook until it begins to caramelize, washing down the sides of the saucepan with a brush dipped in cold water.
- When the sugar reaches a golden amber color, remove from heat and pour into your prepared ramekins, swirling them around to coat the bottom and sides of the ramekins with caramelized sugar. Work carefully as the caramel is incredibly hot! Place aside.
- Mix the eggs, condensed milk, coconut milk, cream, vanilla and sugar in a bowl. Give it a quick mix with a whisk then pass this mixture through a fine sieve to remvoe any egg pieces that might be left.
- Evenly pour the mixture into your ramekins.
- Pour 2-3 cups of hot water in the pan surrounding the ramekins and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- When done, allow to cool in the pan then carefully loosen up the edges of each flan and turn them upside down on a serving platter.
- Top the coconut flan with shredded coconut and spun sugar before serving.
Dupa unt, ciocolata si lapte/frisca, laptele de cocos e un ingredients care rareori imi lipseste din casa. Pentru ca-mi place foarte mult aroma nucii de cocos, obisnuiesc chiar sa cumpar nuca de cocos proaspata – pulpa aceea alba, zemoasa e snack-ul perfect (aromat, sanatos, ce poti cere mai mult de atat?!). Reteta de azi e cat se poate de usoara, seaman foarte mult cu o crema de zahar ars, dar e mai onctuoasa, mai densa si cremoasa si are o aroma intensa de lapte de cocos. Sosul de caramel format in fiecare ramekin complementeza flanul perfect. Pentru decor m-am hotarat sa pastrez aceeasi idee de simplitate, astfel incat nuca de cocos razuita si fire de zahar caramelizat mi s-au parut suficiente. Merg pe ideea ca less is more, mai ales cand vorbim de deserturi si nu are rost sa complicam lucruri care sunt perfecte in simplitatea lor.
- 6 oua medii
- 1 conserva (300ml) lapte condensat indulcit
- 1 conserva (400ml) lapte de cocos
- 1/2 cana smantana pentru frisca
- 1 1/2 lingurite extract de vanilie
- 1 praf de sare
- 200g zahar alb
- 70ml apa
Mod de preparare:
- Preincalziti cuptorul la 165C si puneti 4-6 ramekins (in functie de marimea lor) intr-un vas adanc (flanul va fi gatit pe bain marie, de aceea aveti nevoie de un vas ori tava adanca).
- Combinati apa cu zaharul intr-un vas si puneti pe foc mediu. Fierbeti, spaland peretii vasului cu o pensula inmuiata in apa rece, pana zaharul incepe sa se caramelizeze si are o culoare aurie.
- Luati de pe foc si turnati zaharul topit in fiecare ramekin apoi miscati fiecare ramekin pentru a acoperi fundul si peretii cu zahar topit.
- Intr-un bol, mixati ouale, laptele condensat, laptele de cocos, smantana, vanilia si sarea. Treceti amestecul printr-o sita fina pentru a inlatura eventualele firicele de ou apoi turnati compozitia in formele tapetate cu zahar caramelizat.
- Turnati apa fierbinte in vasul adanc, in jurul formelor, apoi dati la cuptor pentru 35-40 minute.
- Cand sunt gata, lasati sa se raceasca apoi intoarceti fiecare flan pe o farfurie.
- Pentru decor, folosit nuca de cocos usor prajita si fire de zahar caramelizat.