Ghoriba, also known as ghriba, is a traditional Moroccan cookie that comes in many variations, from almond ghoriba to semolina ghoriba. The word itself, ghriba, means the mysterious and it seems that the cookies were introduced to Moroccans by Andaloussi who fled to Spain and then came back to Morocco, bringing the recipe with them. Of course, the original recipe was adapted to Oriental spices, including rose water, lemon, orange, almonds or honey and many variations are known nowadays. Bottom line is that ghoriba is the perfect tea time cookie. It’s crisp and crunchy on the outside and it literally melts in your mouth with each bite.
I love the contrast between the outside and inside and ghoriba – Moroccan cookies offer an interesting experience with each bite. It’s the type of cookie that you can dip in a cup of hot chocolate or tea as it will soak up the liquid and become even more delicious!
- 400g all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 200g powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 40g butter
- 45ml vegetable oil (coconut oil, peanut oil, sun-flower oil)
- Powdered sugar for coating
- Sift the flour with salt and baking powder in a bowl.
- Mix the oil and butter in a heatproof bowl and melt them in the microwave just until melted. Let them cool to room temperature before using.
- In the bowl of your mixer, combine the eggs with 200g powdered sugar and mix at least 5 minutes or until tripled in volume. Add the vanilla and almond extract.
- Gradually stir in the melted oil and butter then add the flour mixture to form an easy-to-work-with dough.
- Knead the dough a few times to bring it together then wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours, even better overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 350F - 175C and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Spoon 1-2 cups of powdered sugar on a platter. I recommend sifting it as well for a better coating.
- Remove the dough from the fridge then take small pieces of dough and shape them into a ball. As a reference, my pieces of dough had between 13 and 15g.
- Roll each ball through powdered sugar, making sure it's very well coated and place the cookies on your prepeared baking sheets.
- Bake in the oven for 10-14 minutes just until slightly golden brown on the edges. Don't overbake them as they will dry out too much.
- Let them cool in the pan before transferring on a platter or airtight container.
Din seria fursecurilor de sarbatori va prezint ghoriba – fursecuri marocane care nu doar arata extrem de interesant, oarecum asemanatoare cu crinkles, dar sunt si foarte usor de facut si numai bune cu o cana de ceai sau lapte cald. Reteta originala o gasiti aici, multumesc Any si pentru aceasta reteta!
- 400g faina alba
- 1 lingurita praf de copt
- 1 praf de sare
- 2 oua mari
- 200g zahar pudra
- 1 lingurita extract de vanilie
- 1/2 lingurita extract de migdale
- 40g unt
- 45ml ulei vegetal (de arahide, de cocos, de floarea soarelui)
- Zahar pudra pentru a pudra fursecurile
Mod de preparare:
- Cerneti faina cu praful de copt si sarea.
- Amestecati untul si uleiul si topiti-le impreuna la microunde sau pe foc mic, apoi lasati sa se raceasca la temperatura camerei.
- Amestecati ouale cu 200g zahar pudra si mixati cel putin 5 minute pana devin pufoase si isi tripleaza volumul.
- Adaugati vanilia, extractul de migdale, apoi faina si framantati de cateva ori doar cat sa obtineti un aluat omogen.
- Infasurati aluatul in folie alimentara si dati la rece pentru cel putin 2 ore.
- Incalziti cuptorul la 175C-180C si tapetati doua tavi cu hartie de copt.
- Intindeti 1-2 cani de zahar pudra cernut pe o farfurie.
- Luati bucatele mici de aluat, 12-15g, si dati-le forma de bile. Rulati fiecare bila prin zaharul pudra pregatit, asigurandu-va ca fursecurile sunt bine acoperiti cu zahar pudra.
- Asezati fursecurile in tavile pregatite si coaceti pentru 10-14 minute doar pana marginile devin usor aurii, nu mai mult caci se usuca excesiv.
- Lasati fursecurile sa se raceasca in tava inainte de a le transfer pe un platou sau intr-un vas inchis ermetic.